Live Chat

If the crime you’ve experienced is reported in the media, it can be difficult to deal with. Every situation is different, and we won’t tell you what to do. We can talk to you about your options and support you with the decision you make.

You may want to speak to the media to help:

  • find witnesses to the crime
  • find the person who committed the crime
  • you move forward
  • raise awareness of the crime.

It’s important to remember that once you’ve spoken to the media:

  • the things you said are likely to be shared by other media outlets
  • it can be difficult to get your privacy back
  • your feelings may change over time and you can’t take back your original comments
  • social media users can be cruel, and you may see unpleasant posts
  • if your case is high-profile, the attention can be intense.

If you need someone to talk to about media attention:

  • your LVWS caseworker can support you
  • in cases of serious crime, police family liaison officers can help
  • the lawyer involved in your case – if you have one – can give you advice.

If you need to complain about the media

It may be that the attention becomes too much for you to cope with. You may also find that you’re unhappy with the way your comments have been reported.

Journalists and broadcasters should follow a code of conduct. If you feel harassed or receive unwanted attention, you can make a complaint.

The Independent Press Standards Organisation deals with complaints about newspaper and magazine journalists.

Ofcom aims to make sure that people aren’t treated unfairly by TV and radio broadcasters.

Online support

Find support near you