Live Chat

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, you have specific rights to housing.

Housing law can be complex, but don’t let this put you off seeking help. We can support you to have your voice heard and stand up for your rights. We can also introduce you to specialist organisations to help with your housing rights.

It’s important to get advice because your rights will depend on:

  • The type of housing you live in – council, private rented or owned.
  • The legal status of your relationship – married, civil partnership or living together.
  • Whether you have children.
  • If you wish to stay in your home – and have your abuser removed – or leave.

Help from the local authority (council)

Your local authority should have trained staff to support survivors of domestic abuse. Their homeless service has a duty to help you find accommodation. They can also work with other local authorities if it’s not safe for you to stay in the same area.

If you’re not sure which local authority to contact, use this postcode search.

Find support near you