The internet has become a part of everyday life and has made many things easier. Unfortunately, using online services and social media also comes with risks. We’ve put together some tips to help keep you safe online.
Passwords and security
- Choose your passwords carefully. Try not to use the same passwords for all your online accounts.
- Make sure that you protect mobile devices with a PIN or passcode.
- Install security software on any device you use to access the internet.
- Security software will prompt you to update it from time to time. Don’t ignore these prompts – they include security updates to help keep you safe online.
Your information and money
- Avoid sharing too much personal or financial information online. It can be used by scammers and fraudsters.
- Always be aware that people may not be who they say they are, both online and over the phone.
- Only open links or attachments when you know and trust where they’ve come from.
- Be wary of making bank transfers to individuals or companies you don’t know.
- Take your time and never be pressured into making payments online.
- Remember, if something seems too good to be true, it’s probably a scam.
For more information and safety tips, visit Get Safe Online. This is a specialist website that covers all areas of online safety.